Ah, yes. Jake arrives in his very best suit-and-scarf ensemble and the crowd goes wild!
Still he walks along (is he looking for someone?) while countless desperate fans throw things at him...but will he stop to sign anything?
Yes. He will. He will also look over his shoulder desperately searching the crowds for Prophecy Girl, but somehow, we just can't get the timing right for those two crazy kids. Did no one tell him she was in Me-he-co?
Off topic: Stephen Colbert most definitely mentioned the "Brokeback Mountain fiasco of last year" at the end of "The Daily Show." Well played, Colbert. At this rate, we'll have you at full agent status in no time.
Where were we? Ah, yes. The actual Letterman interview. 8 minutes in, Dave mentions Jake will be on the show and an unidentified male in the audience bellows out his approval in a show of enthusiasm that puts us all to shame. Stephen is that you?
Then Jake comes out and it all happens very, very fast! The basics:
- Jake switched ties on us.
- Dave immediately brings up Jake's parents. Huh. I was actually just joking about Stephen above, but now that joke is even funnier. Ha ha.
- Jake, unprovoked, brings up dropping out of college. I'd say his attitude towards that is "glib."
- Jake lists off the immunizations he had to get to go to Morocco but as it turns out, most of them he just got for the hell of it. He's psychosomatic like that.
- Jake mentions not wearing clothes and being cold. This ties into the immunization and psychosomatic-ness mentioned above.
- Discussion turns to the fire over Xmas that was actually really scary. Turns out Stephen dashed out of his burning cabin with an empty suitcase. Stephen you're everywhere in this interview! And not terribly helpful during a fire.
- Jake then recounts a very awkward story about his dad not wearing any underwear at the time of the fire. He adds that his mother was also commando, but I can't tell if he's joking. I'm kinda thinking no, in which case wow. Lots of information there.
- Throughout, there's this weird interaction between Jake and Paul Shaffer, who coins the term "Bu" but in reference to "Malibu" and not Jake's long-lost puggle.
- Dave had no idea who Jake plays in Zodiac. He jokingly asks if Jake plays the Zodiac killer but my mom thought that for months and she was dead serious, so it is possible to make that mistake.
- At the end, they play the scene from the movie with Jake in the kitchen with his kids. Aw! And then it's over.
Wow, that was a lot of weirdness in a short amount of time. I'm sure it'll be up on YouTube in no time and this post will revert to being somewhat useless. OK, bedtime!
Thanks to JustJared for the pictures (in case the watermarks didn't give it away).
UPDATE: Thanks to Just Jared for sending us a link to the video! Take a look at the Gyllenbaffle: http://justjared.buzznet.com/2007/02/27/jake-gyllenhaal-david-letterman-video/